Thursday, June 08, 2006

If there's any justice in the world..........


U. S. Senator James Inhofe shamed his home state of Oklahoma and his family today when he made his speech in support of the Federal Marriage Amendment.

He loudly pronounced he and his wife have been married for 45 years and was "happy" to say that none of his 20 kids or grand kids are gay. Think Progress has a vid of his speech and some great commentary on the subject.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/06/06/inhofe-gay-marriage/

This reminds me of a good friend that I had towards the end of my high school days. His dad was a guy's guy and made it clear that he didn't like gay folks. After meeting me for the first time, he asked my friend privately why he would hang out with a "fag like him." Fortunately, I was able to sustain that friendship anyway and continue it today with both he and his family - including dear old dad.

But perhaps the path to friendship was smoothed when the family learned that their youngest son was also gay.

If there' s any justice in the world, Mr. Inhofe will be touched by a gay person. Although, being as proud of his bigotry as he is, I could understand if it would be rather hard to come out to him. But perhaps then he'll see us as human beings - just like anyone else.

Fortunately, FMA failed..............

No comments: