Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Fathers Day!


I hope everyone takes a moment today to share a moment with or reflect on their father or a special father figure. Dad's aren't perfect. They often do or say things that we don't like. Sometimes they're just being human. And often they're doing what's best for us even if we don't see it that way.

My dad passed away after a long illness almost nine years ago. In a situation like that, you always think you're prepared. But how can you possibly be? Death is a natural progression in life. But you always miss those special people that go on before you. And I definitely miss my dad today.

On the morning that he died, he called for me around 4 am. I got up and gave him some water. I wiped his brow with a damp cloth. I gathered up his meds and offered to make him some breakfast. I had seen this from him so many times before. It was almost routine at this point.

I didn't go with my mother to take him to the hospital. Instead, I got ready for work and figured I would call around 8 am from the office and see how things were. I forgot for just one moment that that day just might be THE day. And on Oct. 9, 1997 it was that day.

No comments: