Monday, October 09, 2006

A little of this, a little of that.........

Just a few notes..............

**Tina, from the Georgia Democratic Women's Grapevine, reminds us of the WMAZ Political Forum on Thursday night:

Mark Taylor requests your presence at the following Georgia National Fair Event:

THURSDAYOCTOBER 1213 WMAZ POLITICAL FORUM7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., Reaves Arena

Candidates for Governor: Libertarian Garrett Michael Hayes, Republican Sonny Perdue, and Democrat Mark Taylor.8:30p.m. - 9:00p.m., Candidates for 8th District Congressional Debate: Republican Mac Collins and Democrat Jim Marshall.Mark has requested that at least 200 Middle Georgia Democrats attend the debate. We need to show up and support our candidate!

**While Tina's on my mind, I wanted to point out her blog on mental health issues, Dorothea's List. I know this subject bores a lot of people. But not me. I have an educational and professional background in this area. It means a lot to me. And it means a lot to me that there are people out there like Tina who pay close attention to what's going on. Unfortunately, mental health and substance abuse crisis programs are one of the Perdue administration's biggest shortcomings.

Lets see Tina, you're a Democratic activist, feminist, former educator, supporter of mental health programs, poet, and photographer!!! Is there anything you can't do? Of all the people around the Georgia blogosphere, you are at the very top of my list of bloggers to meet in person.

;-)

**I've made other changes to my blogroll and weekly reads. I'm rounding out my journey through the local blogosphere with new Democrat or left leaning voices, as well as some from the center and the right. Of the right leaning blogs that I added, even though I might disagree with many of their opinions, I do find a bit of middle ground with them on some issues. I also have several new Libertarian and independent links added.

Other changes include blogs and web pages for some of my pet interests. I spent this primary season being so candidate oriented and that's not really something that I enjoy. I'm much more comfortable focusing on issues that are important to me. That's a good way to keep your feet on the ground, in my opinion.

**For those of us that mourned the loss of Harry's in Duluth, don't despair. Gwinnett County has two great new whole foods stores. There's the Fresh Market on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. And then there's the larger Whole Foods Market just across the river in Fulton County on States Bridge Rd. I love both stores and supplement my grocery shopping using them. But I've been down to the Whole Foods Market 3 times in the last 2 weeks already.

**Also, if you love beer and German food, make sure and visit one of my favorite restaurants in metro Atlanta, Vreny's Biergarten just off of Peachtree Industrial in Duluth. They are celebrating Oktoberfest this month.

Vreny's is a more casual restaurant, adjoining Kurt's where you can enjoy fine dining. Some friends of mine and I usually eat at Vreny's once a month. And we go to Kurt's for bigger occasions like Easter or Christmas. The same family from "the old country" run both places.

You can't go wrong with their saurbraten mit whipped potatoes, Swiss salad, und asparagus. But since we're starting to enjoy some fall-like weather, I also recommend their goulash.

**Well, the Dawgs fell hard on Saturday night. We simply lost to a better team. But it's just one game. And considering our problems with youth and depth at key positions, we're probably more of a 13-18 type team than a top 10 team. Lots of things can still be accomplished in this "transition year" though.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Thanks for your kind words, Button!
My guiding philosophy is that if I waited to do anything until I could do it exactly right, I would never get anything done at all. So my modus operandi is just to plunge right into projects and do the best I can. Just don't ask me to do any math!

Anonymous said...

I watched a portion of the TV coverage of this event.

The incredibly biased audience, the relative ignorance of all candidates and the partisanship of the majors was very offputting.

Recovering alcoholic libertarian for governor anyone? Yuck.