Thursday, August 24, 2006

Via Birmingham Blues: The Effort to Defeat AL's First Lesbian Legislator-Elect Continues

Thanks to my friend, Joe, in Alabama, I've been keeping up with the efforts to overturn the results of Alabama's Democratic primary for House district 54. Patricia Todd is bidding to become Alabama's first openly lesbian legislature. However, the race was decided by only 59 votes. And to make matters worse, Todd's opponent's mother-in-law is making an issue of the Victory Fund's involvement.

The blogger, Birmingham Blues, has been doing a great job of following this. She's even attending the contest hearing in Montgomery. For those interested in this ongoing story, I suggest reading her blog. In fact, she's one of my new additions to my blogroll.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Patricia, John, Howard and the other great activists from Equality Alabama last year. Here's more power to Patricia and a serious hoping that she prevails.

Button Gwinnett said...

Same here, Tim. It's meant a lot to us to have people like Karla Drenner in elected office. Hopefully Patricia's win will be upheld, and she can open some doors for our neighbors.